- Turn in Application – The application needs to be turned in before the posted deadline in order to be considered for that class. Ralston Fire holds applications for one year after they are turned in.
- Background Check – All applicants are placed through a background check. When the applicant passes the background check, they are moved onto the next section.
- Interview – A panel interview is conducted with members of the department, including the Training Chief and President. This interview is on a pass/fail basis with passing being a score of 70% out of 100%.
- Physical Agility – There are two different physical agility tests. There is one that is offered for EMS Only applicants and one offered for Firefighter/EMS applicants. These must be completed within the allotted time. If an applicant fails the agility two times, they are allowed to reapply in 12 months.
- Occupational Health Exam – Ralston Fire contracts with CHI Health Bergan Mercy Occupational Health for exams. The exam is done by a physician in order to ensure that all applicants are fit for duty.
- Approval by the Membership – Once all applicants have passed the above items, they are then brought up to the membership for approval. Since this is a volunteer fire department, major decisions are brought forth to the members for voting. When the membership approves the applicants, they are then probationary members of Ralston Fire.